The first record of the mill is in the Domesday Book. Little Norton Mill is a small, country watermill situated at the foot of Hamdon Hill, to the east of Norton-sub-Hamdon in South Somerset. The mill is a listed Grade ll building. It is built of local limestone, and contains three floors under a plain, clay tiled roof.
The loft and floor extend across the wheel chamber at the east end of the building , enclosing the waterwheel but leaving it clearly visible from the downstream side. The floors and structural timberwork within the mill are predominantly of elm and the whole is generally of late 18th century date, although there was certainly an earlier mill on the site.
The mill machinery is basically intact and is nicely representative of a late 18th century layout, with some elements replaced in cast iron during the 19th century. The mill last ran commercially in about 1920, and the building and machinery were restored during 1996/7.
We have been able to trace the ownership back to 1850, but until recently, no further. We have now had contact with a family called Greenham with evidence of occupation between 1450 and 1850.
Please ask if you wish to have look inside.
Bookings can be made online or by telephoning 01935 881337.